This April conference I had the opportunity to take this young man to General Conference. One of the benefits to having older brothers is they tell their younger siblings all about what they are going to do and how mom is a different person on this trip. This would also be Thomas' first airplane ride.
Here we are at the airport:
I have learned from these trips as well. Like let them bring a few toys or they are bored out of their minds at Grandpa's house! Thomas brought his favorite puppy and a gallon size bag of Legos.
He got a window seat and I gave him some gum to chew. He was so nervous about flying. He did good though.
His "official" certificate for his first flight. They also gave him a packet of things to do and he finished it rather quickly.
We got in late, picked up our rental car. We were given a red VW bug. Thomas was thrilled it was his favorite color. I learned I don't like sitting that low in a vehicle. Next we headed to the grocery store near my grandpa's. I had to get some food so I could eat while I was there.
The following day, we got ready and our original plan was to go to the Copper Mine. I was talking to my aunt and she said it had closed due to a landslide and might now be open. Sure enough it was not. So I texted my friend that lives there and she suggested the Natural Curiosity Museum. She met us there and got us in for half price. (I should mention I work with her, so she knew how hard it would be for me to swallow the admission price. It was kind of her to come and do that for us.)
Thomas LOVED the museum! I think there were only a few areas he did not care for. They involved getting scared different ways. My biggest concern were the crowds. I don't do well with crowds and especially lots of kids. Thomas held my hand and said, "Mom, I said a prayer for you that you will make it." I did. It was a HUGE tender mercy.
Here are some pictures from our adventure:
Wind tunnel. Thomas loved this!
Building + Water = Joy!
Motion Room
I even bought him lunch at the cafe. He said, "Wow! This has NEVER happened before." He was starting to realize what his brothers meant by you get a different mom on this trip.
They even had a whole outdoor section to play in.
Thomas got this boa snake at the gift shop. It is his favorite toy now.
We had to go to Iceberg. Too bad mom could not help him eat it.
We did discover a few toys in grandpa's basement. Thomas loved them!
We also were able to visit my grandparents and great-grandparents graves.
We ended our night at the mall and Thomas got to ride the carousel all by himself! He picked the dragon.
And he enjoyed every minute of it!
The following morning we went to conference. I did not get there as early as I did with the other boys, but we still got a great seat! The best thing was everyone around us was not from Arizona. So I was able to talk to others about where they were from.
This was his "I'm happy to be here picture."
And his "How much longer until it starts picture." He did fairly well for Thomas.
After it was over, I had to use the restroom. I left Thomas outside and when I came out, he was talking to those that were waiting outside. A woman said, "Are you Thomas' mum? Thomas has been such a delight to talk to. We are from Australia and he was telling us you are from Arizona." I smiled and said, "Yes we are from Arizona." She told us how they would love to visit there and Thomas told her not to come during the summer. It was WAY too hot to do anything fun. Swimming was the only thing to do then. I was rather impressed with Thomas. He has come a long way this year when it comes to speaking to others.
We had a great time! However, I was quickly losing steam and was not sure how long I was going to last. Normally I would spend the entire day downtown, but I knew that was not going to happen this year.
The flowers were so pretty. I love the temple in spring!
Thomas picked getting a box lunch. He was just excited it came with a cookie. He asked me if I thought he would have a peanut butter one. I told him to check. He scored! A peanut butter cookie AND a snickerdoodle one. I think the look on his face tells the rest of the story.
We ran into my Uncle Bill and his family! I have not seen them since 2006. They drove from Michigan for conference. They invited us to come to dinner at 9pm, but I had to decline. It was just nice to see them there.
We got a few pictures around Temple Square.
After that we went to Deseret Book for a Christmas ornament and then home. Thomas was so happy to see boa in the car. He still does not know why I did not let him bring the 6 foot stuffed snake into the conference center.
We took it easy the rest of the night. I had bought Thomas and I some ice cream. We decided since we were leaving the next morning we should eat it.
Thomas loved talking with Great Grandpa Walker. Too bad Grandpa could not hear everything Thomas said.
I got Thomas a Lego set to build on the way home. He had it done in 15 minutes. I told him to slow down and he just laughed. (insert his evil laugh)
Last prize was a box of vanilla wafers. This kid loves these cookies and can you believe mom never buys them?
I feel very blessed that I was able to do as much as I did. I think sometimes I set my own bar much higher than my kids do. I'm a very lucky mom to have spent this time with Thomas. He is a very special boy!
2 comments:
Love seeing your adventures!! Fun to have you in our neck of the woods!! The snake is classic little boy...everyone brings a 6 foot snake to conference :-)
That looks like a fun weekend! Never heard of that museum, what a great find. I love how Utah seems to be THE PLACE to get ice cream.
Post a Comment